Assessment is the gathering and analyzing of information about student progress and performance and program effectiveness. Effective assessment guides students through the essential elements of learning- knowledge acquisition, understanding concepts, mastering skills, development of attitudes, and decisions to take action.
At AISL, effective assessment:
- improves and encourages student learning by providing effective feedback on the learning process and outcomes;
- informs planning and teaching;
- is a tool to collect evidence of student understanding, knowledge and skills;
- is a continuous, on-going process;
- is directly related to learning outcomes/curriculum standards;
- has clear criteria that are known and understood in advance;
- involves frequent opportunities for students to be assessed in authentic contexts;
- is rigorous and relevant;
- engages students in the reflection of their learning;
- is differentiated by learning needs, for example level of English, cultural background and learning style;
- provides opportunity for peer feedback and self-reflection.
AISL is committed to the process of assessment in order to
- enhance the learning of the students;
- monitor the progress of individual student learning and achievement;
- determine the effectiveness of teaching;
- inform curriculum review;
- help evaluate suitability of programs and courses;
- monitor teacher performance (one of many inputs);
- inform others of student progress and performance, including students, teachers, parents, other schools, and colleges/universities.
Reporting on Student Progress and Performance
AISL provides regular and substantive reporting on Academic Achievement and Effort. The reporting system is designed to provide
- a teacher’s judgment of each student’s performance based upon the collection and evaluation of sound evidence of learning and understanding;
- an understanding of a student’s areas of strength and areas to improve;
- opportunities for parents to conference with teachers about their child’s progress and performance.
You may click here to access and download additional information about AISL's Assessment and Reporting Guidelines.